One thought that is sure to stir up your appetite and get your taste buds clamoring for a tasty meal, is that of Belizean Cuisine. Fear not though, as it’s the second week of June and that means it’s time for another “How to” cooking guide featuring one of Belize's most popular appetizers - Conch Fritters.
This succulent seafood selection (say that 3 times fast), is made from fresh conch, coated in a custom-made batter and fried to golden perfection. These delicacies can be enjoyed as a first course meal at local, seaside restaurants, as finger food at a party, or as a quick snack when on-the-go.
If you're a foodie like us, you'll be sure to enjoy our cooking guide to creating this tasty Conch Fritters:
Yields: 6 -8 Servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
1 ½ pounds of conch
1 bell pepper
1 celery stalk (chopped)
¼ Habanero pepper (optional)
1 ½ cup of flour
1 ½ cup of water
1 cup of evaporated milk
1 quart cooking coil
- Clean and cut conch: Clean the conch thoroughly and cut into smaller either, either by hand or with the use of a food processor.
Heat the oil: Place the cooking oil of your choosing in an iron skillet, frying pan or deep fryer and heat it at a temperature of 365 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut produce: Chop the bell pepper, onion, celery stalk and Habanero pepper into smaller pieces.
- Make batter: In a bowl, mix the eggs, flour and water until a semi-thick batter is created.
- Add produce to batter: Add the chopped produce into the batter and mix thoroughly. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add batter to oil: Take a tablespoon of the batter, place into the oil and fry until it’s golden brown (cook about 4 -6 at a time). Take the fritters out of the oil and drain on paper towels. Repeat this step until the entire batter is finished.
Serve on a platter with your favorite dipping sauce, dressing or garnishes.
Note: Maya Island Air offers daily scheduled flights to 9 destinations across Belize, including San Pedro, Placencia and Dangriga. Experience your #foodietour by visiting Maya Island Air today.